Then, with the increasing affordability of digital camera, quilters began to share their work on their blogs and sites like Flickr. Fresh Modern Quilts continues to be a popular site for modern quilts. And technology continues to be the communication tool for modern quilters. Through quilt-alongs, block of the months (BOM), tutorials, and the like, quilters stay in touch and keep abreast of current quilting trends.
Modern quilts can be defined by these characteristics:
Style and Design
- inspired by modern art and architecture
- simplicity, minimalism
- reinterpreted traditional blocks, called "modern traditionalism"
- alternative block structures
- lack of visible block structure
- negative space
- gray or white as neutral
- solid fabrics
- improvisational piecing known as "wonky"
- no borders, or borders are part of negative space
- quilting is by the quiltmaker, on a home sewing machine
- straight-line and organic quilting are common
At Central Florida MQG meetings, we strive to emphasize modern quilting in our programs and Show and Tell, and educate quilters about modern quilting.
Please print, complete, and submit this Show and Tell form when sharing a quilt at a meeting.