Then, with the increasing affordability of digital camera, quilters began to share their work on their blogs and sites like Flickr. Fresh Modern Quilts continues to be a popular site for modern quilts. And technology continues to be the communication tool for modern quilters. Through quilt-alongs, block of the months (BOM), tutorials, and the like, quilters stay in touch and keep abreast of current quilting trends.
Modern quilts can be defined by these characteristics:
Style and Design
- inspired by modern art and architecture
- simplicity, minimalism
- reinterpreted traditional blocks, called "modern traditionalism"
- alternative block structures
- lack of visible block structure
- negative space
- gray or white as neutral
- solid fabrics
- improvisational piecing known as "wonky"
- no borders, or borders are part of negative space
- quilting is by the quiltmaker, on a home sewing machine
- straight-line and organic quilting are common
At Central Florida MQG meetings, we strive to emphasize modern quilting in our programs and Show and Tell, and educate quilters about modern quilting.