We are happy to welcome two new members to our chapter - Diane and Ardie - and six first-time visitors. A total of 35 quilters turned out for the meeting which featured a special guest speaker, and the reveal of a new challenge.
Our guest speaker was Di Jobbins, a quilter from Sydney, Australia who is visiting the US for the first time, and staying with Linda H. They anticipate traveling to QuiltCon together.
Here, President Karen presents Di with a small thank-you gift - a Pixie Basket filled with spools of Aurifil thread.
Di gave a wonderful presentation: "Meanderings of a (Moderately) Modern Quilter," sharing a little of her quilt story, and the similarities and differences between Australian modern quilting and American modern quilting.
|Ruth and her pieced version of Urban Abacus|
|Frances and her table topper|
|She domestic machine quilted it.|
|Using our new logo fabric from Spoonflower, Beth made a tote bag.|
|Beth is participating in the QuiltCon swap and this is the quilt her partner will receive|
|Karen E. used the book Patchwork City to make "Talk of The Villages," a quilt with blocks that feature text/word prints. She domestic machine quilted it.|
Our New Challenge - Modern Mini
A new Central Florida MQG Challenge was presented by President Karen on behalf of Past President Debbie who is leading our Swaps and Challenges and was unable to attend the meeting.
The challenge is: MODERN MINI
Rules for the challenge are as follows:
- Make a mini quilt with a total perimeter of no more than 96". Sides of the mini do not need to be equal.
- Use any modern element(s)/characteristic(s).
- Choose three SOLID colors based on your initials.
- Colors must be named, as on a fabric color card or paint chip. You'll need three fabric or paint chips as proof of the colors you've used. For example, colors from a: Moda Bella color card; Kaufman Kona color card; Behr paint chips; or Sherwin-Williams paint chips.
- Use your first name, middle name, and last name initials to choose colors. If you do not have a middle name, use your maiden name.
- Background fabric is your choice that may be either neutral-colored solid or print.
- Your Modern Mini may be finished with binding, or faced.
- Finished Modern Minis are due by the May 8 Central Florida MQG meeting with participation prizes being given, as well as Viewer's Choice winners.
See you at QuiltCon!