First, this Friday, January 8, at 2 pm, the new Executive Committee is meeting at Panera Bread in Sumter Landing to plan our 2016 activities. As always, this meeting is open to any member who's interested in participating.
Second, we're anticipating our first 2016 Sew-In this Saturday, January 9 from 10 am to 6 pm at the Belleview Public Library. This is a great way to get to know one another better, and of course, get in some social sewing time. Bring whatever you want to work on. If you want to attend and haven't signed up, please let Karen E. know.
Third, our regular meeting is January 11, at 6:30 pm at North Lake Presbyterian Church in the Fellowship Hall. We've had a program change, so this is what you can look forward to:
"Flanged Binding, and a Facing Finish"
Karen E. and Beth S. will offer two demos.
- Karen will demonstrate how to add a very narrow flange to the binding of your quilt to create an extra visual pop. This method is accomplished entirely on the sewing machine.
- Beth will demonstrate how to apply a faced finish to the edges of a quilt. This method is used when you want your entire design and color to flow to the edge of your quilt. Beth's method incorporates ideas from Kay Sorensen of Wisconsin, and Internet tips.
- remember to wear your name tag,
- bring your show and tell, and
- if you're a member of the Mighty Lucky Quilt Club (as 31 of our members are!), bring what you've been working on for the January Challenge: Quilts from your Sketchbook - Shapes and Curves.
NOTE: Seven openings remain for Lee Heinrich's Saturday, February 13 visit to The Villages.
"Traditional Blocks with a Fresh Start" FREEIf you're interested in the workshop, send an email to CentralFloridaMQG@gmail.com
9:30-11 a.m. at Eisenhower Rec Center, 3560 Buena Vista Boulevard
Lee will show 15-20 quilts and discuss her creative journey, design philosophy and strategies.
"Advanced Piecing" - $50
12:30-4 pm at Eisenhower Rec Center, 3560 Buena Vista Boulevard
Take your piecing skills to the next level and sew more complex designs with advanced techniques such as foundation paper piecing, piecing with traditional templates, and partial seams. We'll spend time making several blocks from Lee's book "Vintage Quilt Revival." Students will leave with a good start on the sampler quilt from the book.
Visit www.FreshlyPieced.com for more information about Lee.
We're starting off 2016 with a bang! Hope you're ready for a fun ride!