Twenty-six members and one guest attended the first 2016 Central Florida Modern Quilt Guild meeting on Monday, January 11.
We were happy to be led by our newly-elected president, Debbie, who received applause when the meeting concluded! Debbie was previously a member of the Chicago MQG.
Our program was demonstrations of both flanged binding and faced binding. Karen demonstrated flanged binding with step-by-step samples, and provided a hand-out so everyone can give this method a try.
Beth demonstrated faced binding, showing several quilts she completed with this method, and her step-by-step samples. Of note is how to finish the top edge of a quilt with a facing and sleeve, for hanging.
Triangles at the corners make faced binding work best.
Edge stitching helps too.
|Bette with "Avery's Garden," made for her granddaughter, and quilted herself.|
|Karen E., - on her birthday! - brought "Remix," a quilt inspired by Libs Elliott designs.|
Karen designed and machine quilted it herself.
|The back of Karen E.'s quilt.|
|Karen T. pieced and quilted "Zen" herself.|
|Ruth used the Urban Abacas pattern and a Quick Curve Ruler, to create pieced abacases.|
She calls this "New York Abacus," and plans to quilt it herself.
|"Standing Triangles," and "Circle of Friends," are mini quilts Beth made for swaps.|
Standing Triangles is fused and raw edge appliquéd, and matchstick quilted.
Circle of Friends is made with three-dimensional flying geese.
|Led by Bette, and with assistance from Sandy, Jill, and Central Florida MQG members,|
the delectable mountains quilt, to be given to North Lake Presbyterian Church, is complete.
President Debbie donated her longarm quilting skills to this quilt.
Thirty-one Central Florida MQG members are participating in the Mighty Lucky Quilting Club during 2016. Members Lynette, Ruth, and Cindy shared some of their bias tape/appliqué test pieces.
- Six openings remain in Lee Heinrich's workshop on Saturday, February 13.
- Sew-In dates have changed due to a chapter conflict and a conflict with the Belleview Library. See all correct dates on right menu bar.
- Central Florida MQG has it's own Instagram account. Please follow us! And members, please use #CentralFloridaMQG when you're posting your quilt photos on Instagram. (If you don't yet have an Instagram account, go to: www.Instagram.com)
- We now have a library! Books will be available to check out at each meeting. Refer to library policies through the "Chapter Documents" tab at the top of this page.
February 8 Program - "Modern Block Improv Exercise" presented by Mel
The February program is about playing, and practicing what we've been learning about modern quilts for the past two years. On a 12" x 12" "design wall" of batting everyone will create a mini-quilt masterpiece using only fabric scraps. When designing is completed we'll "show and tell" each one, and members can take home their project to sew into a finished piece, as desired.
- fabric scraps - "modern" prints are not necessary
Batting will be provide.