The Central Florida MQG has already crammed a month's worth of activities into the first 13 days of October, so it's no wonder that some of us are feeling a little tired out from having so much fun!
First up was our wonderful workshop with Sherri (see previous post) and her program, followed by our Saturday Sew-In at Belleview Public Library. We had our biggest turn-out to date with 14 quilters in attendance We welcomed two visitors from the Gainesville MQG!
Back row, L-R: Lynn, Karen, Beth (GMQG), Susan, Toni, Jamie, Diane
Front row, L-R: Linda, Karen, Kathy, Lora (GMQG), Debbie, Kelly
(Sorry we missed you in our group photo, Beth #1!)
If you haven't yet attended a Sew-In, plan to do so! Our next is Saturday, November 14 at the library, from 10 am to 6 pm. Come for all or part of the day.
Third in our line-up of fun was Monday evening's regular meeting at North Lake Presbyterian Church. Thirty people attended, two of whom were visitors.
Briefly looking into 2016:
February 13-14 - Lee Heinrichs (FreshlyPieced) is coming from Wisconsin to give a program and lead a workshop. More info to come.
May 5-8 - Central Florida MQG retreat at Luther Springs. More info to come.
Of course, many of the quilters who were in Sherri Lynn Wood's improv class brought their projects to share.
Looking at the variety of designs, you might not guess we were all in the same workshop!
Our meeting speaker was Al Lawson, owner of Sharky's Vac 'n Sew on Highway 301 in Wildwood.
He shared information about sewing machines and their care, threads brands, fabrics, and basically entertained us with his stories and knowledge. Quilters in attendance who knew the right answers to questions were rewarded with several giveaway items - sponges, needles, thread, thread stand, batting, and the like. We really appreciated and enjoyed Al's program!
|Selina made a placemat using a mini tumbler template, and hand quilted it with #5 pearl cotton.|
|Kathy made a bag of tumbler shapes using Kaffe Fasset fabrics.|
|Linda and Beth entered the American Made Brand "Tiny Quilt Challenge." Out of 228 entries, they were both in the top 12 winner's group! Linda's "Spherical Realm" placed third in appliqué; Beth's "Check Mark" placed third in piecing.|
|They won the same prizes - a 31 fat quarter bundle of AMB solids, an AMB color card, and an AMB tote bag.|
|In addition, Beth's off-set squares quilt was also selected by AMB to be part of the 40-quilt display!|
|Gainesville MQG visitor, Lora, showed four Wedge Table Runners she made.|
This is her own design using the freezer paper piecing technique.
|Lora also showed her "Roxie Bag," another of her own designs.|
|Linda showed "Triangle Tango," a design she arranged using EQ7.|
The quilt is domestic machine quilted with three different all over quilting designs.
|Karen's "Mid-Century Modern Medley" is a design by Mark Lipinski.|
She quilted it herself, and added flanged binding, a new technique to her.
- Members will soon receive an opportunity to vote electronically for the follow slate of 2016 officers.
President: Debbie BookmanVice-President: Beth ShuttyTreasurer: Susan Simone1st Media Coordinator: Linda Hungerford 2nd Media Coordinator: Jamie Naylor
Even though candidates are running unopposed, it's important that we have a majority response in order to install these quilters at our December meeting. Watch for an email with a link to vote. Thank you!
Our bylaws allow two individuals to share a position. Both the Vice-President and Treasurer "second" positions are open.
- 2016 chapter dues of $40 are being accepted now through the end of 2015. If you're writing a check, please make it payable to Central Florida Modern Quilt Guild, Inc.
- Our November 9 meeting is at North Lake Presbyterian Church, as usual. However, we are moving our meeting room from the classroom area to the Fellowship Hall. Enter by the same doors, follow the hall, turn right, then left into the Hall. This means we have more room to grow. Bring your friends!
- The November 9 meeting is the reveal of our "Solids Challenge." Kelly will be at the door to accept your entry. Please bring it hidden, in a bag or tote. Attendees will vote for their favorites with winners announced, and a participation prize given. Timm from Sew-Mini Things quilt shop in Mount Dora will attend to award prizes.
- November 14 - monthly Saturday Sew-In at Belleview Public Library.
December 14 Meeting
- Outgoing executive committee and incoming executive committee recognized.
- We'll revisit the continuum that many members saw (and placed their initials on) in January. Let's see how you've progressed as a modern quilter! If you aren't familiar with the continuum, MQG members may watch Jacquie Gering's MQG webinar "Modern Quilting: You Know it When You See It" here.
- Bring your non-sewing room notions to show and share. This would be an item from an office supply store or hardware store that you use in your sewing room.
- Binding Bee! Together, we'll be hand-sewing the binding down on our charity quilt. Thread and needles provided, but please bring your thimble.
- No December Sew-In